I've learned in the last four months that I am most eager to blog when I should be getting something else accomplished. Today the task is studying for my Mandarin class, which I'm almost as excited about as drinking cough syrup. Most weeks I look forward to practicing my Chinese, but for whatever reason today it feels more like a chore.
So my study breaks have been increasing in number and duration as I've been perusing my music library and attempting to put together a soundtrack for my afternoon. I'm hoping background music will help motivate me, and I've been working on a little project anyway.
I read the blog of a man I know in Austin who is quite the music nerd, and he's always writing music reviews and "top 10 album" lists. But my favorite is when he occasionally puts together compilation soundtracks for movies that have yet to be made.
I've always dreamed of working as a music consultant for independent film makers, but as this is not an option at the moment — a thing that is evidenced by my current salary — I like to make compilations for loved ones instead. And today, with Kester's recent listing as inspiration, I'm coming up with a soundtrack for the current day in Guiayng, though ever so mundane. Maybe you need something a little snappy as well. Feel free to adopt it as your own.
1. Keep the Car Running — The Arcade Fire
2. Bridges and Ballons — Joanna Newsom
3. Skinny Love — Bon Iver
4. Wildfires — Josh Ritter
5. An Ocean and a Rock — Lisa Hannigan
6. Start a War — The National
7. Collide — Rachel Yamagata
8. Give a Little Love — Noah and the Whale
9. Furniture — Final Fantasy
10. For the Interests of Few — Norfolk and Western
11. Backwards/ Forwards — Sarah Jaffe
12. Marry Me — St. Vincent
13. Quiet Houses — Fleet Foxes
14. Olive Hearts — Bowerbirds
15. Mr. Blue — Catherine Feeny
16. The Penalty — Beirut
17. Blue Umbrella — Dana Falconberry
18. Amiss — The Long Lost
19. I Don't Know if I'll be Back This Time — Sea Wolf
20. The Greatest — Cat Power