Monday, April 20, 2009

Puppy Love

Guiyang has markets for everything. We have markets for flowers and fruit and antiques and used tennis shoes. We even have a puppy market. 

The puppy night market rests on a street corner downtown, and every evening breeders bring their pups for people to buy. Bear and I always pass that street corner when we walk home from work, and I always think how much I would love a dog. 

This wish turned into a reality today as I saved Mr. Rufus Wainwright Sutton — the Sutton family likes to name its dogs after famous musicians — from the perils of ending up on someone's dinner plate. 

Prior to finding Rufus, Licson agreed to be the godfather and caretaker of my dog when I leave China. Rest assured, Rufus will be left in good hands. 

My Chinese friends and I went on quite the field trip this afternoon in search of the perfect puppy, and I think we may have found it. Historically, I like big dogs more than small ones, but considering I live in an apartment and don't have a back yard, I think Rufus fits perfectly into my Chinese life.



Rufus loves his Aunt Bear

8 comments:

  1. wait. what?!?! DINNER PLATE?!?!?!?!? AUGH!!!!

    Poor wittle Rufus! Congrats "Mom" on your new baby! I can almost smell the puppy breath from here.

    Abby would have a friend I'm sure.

    Keep posting pics!!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww ... little rufus, how cute!
    have you begun potty training yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm rather jealous that
    1. you have a dog
    2. the dog gets to be with you
    love,
    hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lolly,

    Oh...he is SO cute. I know he'll be great company for you!
    XOX, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, what a delight to catch up with your life at 3am when I can't sleep! I love you so much! Good plan to have a foster person lined up for the puppy. One smart cookie, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, THAT is a very cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet little companion. I also tend to prefer big dogs, but Rufus (I LOVE the name) seems just right for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! Puppies are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete