Friday, February 20, 2009

Lend me a hand

I have long had a fetish with hand sculptures and have been collecting them since I was freshman in high school. 

For my fifteenth birthday I was given a gift card to my favorite local store, Sleeping Lizards, where I found this eclectic wooden hand. I'm not sure what originally persuaded me to buy the hand, but I had no idea that it would be the first among many hands that I would eventually collect. 

Since then, I notice them everywhere — in gift shops, international artisan markets and antique stores. I'm running out space to put them, but when I see one, I always feel compelled to buy it. 

Something I love about collections is how people in your life can share in your excitement for a certain object. For instance, since my Auntie Em learned of my collection she is always on the hunt for a good hand sculpture. When I was at university, she would send me letters with hand buttons or hand soap or hand stickers stuffed inside. 

And some of my favorite sculptures have been ones that friends have given me. One Christmas my friend Amanda became giddy each time she referenced my Christmas present, assuring me that I would love it. She had bought me this metal hand sculpture, and to this day it remains a favorite. 

I'm a strong believer in collections because I come from a family of collectors. Whether it's green depression glass, vintage globes or stained glass windows, there are some objects that I will forever see and think of certain people, which is so special to me.

The hand sculptures in my photos are a few of my favorites. I have found that the ones I love the most have a rustic feel to them and are usually crafted by artisans. Whether the sculptures are wooden and carved with lifelines, or whether they have long Indian-style fingers, I am always on the look for new ones. So if you know of a location where hand sculptures are sold, please let me know.

Oh, and I have found that hand sculptures make great jewelry displays!








No comments:

Post a Comment