Monday, March 16, 2009

The Smell of Clean Laundry

I love slow, lazy mornings; the kind of morning where you don't have to be anywhere or get anything accomplished. Tuesday is my self-imposed laundry day, and in between pulling clothes out of the machine and hanging them to dry outside my bedroom window, I have enjoyed a relaxing morning at home, puttering around the house and chatting with friends in Texas. 


Still, this laundry task feels like a defeat before I even begin. I enjoy nothing more than to smell like soap and freshly washed clothes. But no matter how hard I try, by the time my clothes dry they share the aroma of the bar next to my apartment. Oh well.


My time in Guiyang continues to satisfy my spirit. I'm making dear friends and enjoying work that I feel both betters my community and brings great personal fulfillment. It's strange to live outside the rat race that I've grown up in, where I can enjoy a laid-back morning and the demands of the day can wait for me to finish washing my clothes. The world seems to unfold a little more slowly in this place. It's lovely. 


2 comments:

  1. Lauren! It's great to catch up with your life by reading these. Sounds very exciting and challenging what you're doing. I have a blog too! Not as interesting as yours by a longshot, but what can you do? Give me a holler sometime! Love, Alicia Perry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, what a lovely post. I wish I could escape this rat race right now! I'm so glad you're finding peace of soul and enjoying your time. Lovelove.

    ReplyDelete