Monday, March 16, 2009

Stopped in My Tracks

A new teacher in a new city, I often find myself responding to the world around me in more task-oriented way than I would like. It's hard to really let myself rest; I'm always thinking about how to get from one place to another, how to improve my teaching and how to communicate basic needs in Mandarin.

Yesterday I had eight hours of classes and I was running late to work. I try to avoid taking taxis if possible because walking is both good for my health and helps me become better acquainted with my new home. So I picked up my pace, walking briskly through Guiyang's traffic-laden streets.

As I walked (more like jogged,) I mentally ran through my day, attempting to prepare myself for interaction with and instruction for about 50 Chinese students.

Aston is on the third floor of a building on ZhongHua NanLu, and as I approached the school I was slowed down by the family in front of me, obviously headed toward the same destination as me. Still lost in thought and not really paying attention, I kept wishing this family would walk faster. I had to get to work, I thought.

When I finally snapped out of my trance, I realized that the son of the family walking ahead of me was disabled; he appeared to me to have Cerebral Palsy. This scene caught me off guard because I've never seen a disabled child in a context like this. Not in China.

The family realized I was walking behind them, and I think they were embarrassed by the situation, that one of the foreign teachers was waiting on them. They stepped aside as to let me pass them, but I instead smiled and signaled for them to go on ahead of me; I could wait. Being on time no longer felt so imperative.

What I wanted my face to express in a way that I could not adequately convey with words was that I understood what it feels like to be a part of a family that's a bit outside the norm. These three could never have known how much they encouraged me in that moment. And while I'm sure they felt incredibly self conscious about the situation, I couldn't help but inwardly celebrate the testimony of this unique family.

The photos below are snapshots of the eclectic scene I observe on my way to the school. 






2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, You really are a special person. It's easy to see why Jess is so fond of you. The lives in China that you touch will always be Blessed with your sparkle.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to tell Cat that she needs to take back her wedding dress, as the one in the photo beckons her, I'm sure.

    Miss you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete